Friday, April 10, 2009

Maundy Thursday


Last night at church we had a Maundy Thursday service. For some reason this is one of my favorite things we do here. It's not showy, exciting or an event with a lot of hype. It is just a dark room with candles while a narrater reads the last events of Christs' life extingishing the candles as time progresses. At the conclusion of the service, the room is just plain dark and very silent.

For me personally, it is what I need to take me away from all the activity in life as we prepare for the event of Easter. It brings me to the point I am uncomfortable enough that I am "face to face" with what Jesus did for me and because of me. He died for me.

If I don't take the time to get to this place, I never really appreciate Easter Sunday and what it means. The realization of Maundy Thursday is dark, but Easter brings hope. Today, I need the hope that only Easter can bring.

"And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit." Matthew 27:50

1 comment:

  1. I agree - a very worshipful service and the darkness is pretty overwhelming. Lots to think about. Then comes Easter!!!! I am so very thankful for Easter.

    ReplyDelete