Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's for amateurs!

I get so confused this time of year - I could have sworn we have already celebrated Valentine's Day. Last Friday Rob took me out for dinner at Olive Garden (I had a great time talking while he so patiently listened - really), we went shopping at my favorite store, enjoyed a nice cup of coffee and a piece of chocolate at DeBrands and when we arrived home he had flowers waiting for me.
But last night when I had to make a late night run to KMart I knew that it is indeed Valentine's Day. I'm not sure if it was the scurry among grown adults or the card/gift section in the store which confirmed it! There was anything you ever could want (or not) or ever dream of - all available in red, pink and white.
Call me jaded, but I think V Day is for amateurs! At our house, Valentine's is a daily event, not one dictated by the card/gift industry! Not boasting or anything, but maybe that is why we have a great relationship. We both learned early on that a relationship is work. We both tried really hard at it when we were dating, but stopped when we got married. If you have ever heard Rob talk about it - you know that didn't work.
So my challenge for you this year - try and out bless your spouse. I don't mean with gifts, but find out what blesses them (taking out the trash, reading outloud to them while driving, watching football on tv, you get the picture...) and do it. I bet it makes a difference!

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Romans 12:9-13


No comments:

Post a Comment